Special Olympics Massachusetts will be launching their first Health Messenger Program! Does this sound like something you are interested in? Here are some questions to find out if this is right for you:
- Are you a Special Olympics athlete who is passionate about your health?
- Are you a Special Olympics athlete who is interested in leading other athletes to become healthier?
- Are you a Special Olympics athlete who is interested in talking with health care providers or political leaders about the importance of health care for people with intellectual disabilities?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you should consider applying to be trained as a Special Olympics Massachusetts Health Messenger!
Athletes will be trained to:
- Present and interact at meetings with health partners and health influencers
- Be health representatives on Athlete Input councils and Boards
- Motivate peers on maintaining good nutrition, hydration and physical activity
- Deliver Fit5 lessons to other athletes
- Lead Special Olympics athletes to establish healthy lifestyles and set personal health and fitness goals
Health Messenger Qualifications:
- Active Special Olympics athlete
- Interested in health and committed to putting the training into action in your community and SO Program
- Has identified a Mentor that will attend the training and will support you going forward
- Willing to participate in pre-training conference calls
- Participate in a Health Messenger Practicum
Mentors will be trained to:
- Work with Health Messengers to accomplish their local goals
- Continue providing support to athlete leaders both locally and globally
Qualifications for a Mentor
- It is very important to do more than just receive a certificate at the end of the Health Messenger training, you need to practice what you’ve learned. Each athlete who is certified as a Health Messenger is required to do one health and wellness focused practicum in their communities within one year of receiving training.
What is a Practicum?
Health Messenger Training Date **
Date: Saturday, December 14th
Location: Yawkey Training Center. 512 Forest St, Marlborough MA 01752
Time: 9AM- 5PM
We will provide water, a mid morning snacks and lunch. As we get closer to the date of the training we will have a conference call to discuss more details and logistics. Emails will also be sent out prior to training with any and all information that is needed.
Sign Up Today
Please contact Vicky DiNatale at Vicky.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.