Become A Health Messenger
- Are you a Special Olympics athlete who is passionate about fitness, nutrition or health?
- Are you a Special Olympics athlete who is interested in helping others learn how to live a healthy/fit lifestyle.
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you should consider applying to be trained as a Special Olympics Massachusetts Health Messenger!
Athletes will be trained to:
- Be representatives on Athlete Input councils and Boards
- Motivate peers on maintaining good nutrition, hydration and physical activity
- Deliver Fit5 lessons to other athletes
- Lead other Special Olympics athletes to establish healthy lifestyles and set personal health and fitness goals
Health Messenger Qualifications:
- Active Special Olympics athlete
- Interested in fitness/health and committed to putting the training into action in your community and SO Program
- Willing to participate in pre-training conference calls
- Participate in a Health Messenger Practicum
- It is very important to do more than just receive a certificate! At the end of the Health Messenger training, you need to practice what you’ve learned. Each athlete who is certified as a Health Messenger is required to do one health and wellness focused practicum in their communities within one year of receiving training.
What is a Practicum?
- DUE to COVID-19 we are allowing practicums to be virtual!
- Athletes will receive guidance when picking a practicum and will also receive any help needed through out their practicum by our staff member Vicky DiNatale
Health Messenger Virtual Training
***Due to COVID -19 all IN PERSON trainings have be canceled. Must be able to attend BOTH virtual trainings.
Date: Tuesday, December 15th & Thursday, December 17th
A zoom link will be sent out 1 week prior to the training’s.
Time: 4-6PM on both Tuesday and Thursday. Training may not go for the full time slot. There will be breaks built in to the training.
Sign Up Today!