Stay Fit With SOMA – Virtual Summer Games Challenges
This week’s theme is Virtual Summer Games!
Every week we have been posting exercise videos, nutrition tips, and more on our blog to provide you with opportunities to stay fit and active even at home! This blog will focus on Virtual Summer Games!
This year, please join us for Virtual Summer Games! This event is open to everyone and is a safe way to compete amongst your friends and peers from across the state. Train and compete from home and come together virtually to celebrate your accomplishments via Facebook and YouTube on June 12th and 13th, 2020.
Step #1: PRACTICE
First, check out the Virtual Performance Stations to help you prepare for the challenges!
The Virtual Performance Stations include:
- A proper warm up and cool down you can follow along with
- What to eat and drink before you take on the challenges
- How to mentally prepare yourself to compete!
Once you’re ready you can start practicing the challenges and submit your results for as many challenges as you want.
Step #2: CHOOSE YOUR CHALLENGES
Choose which challenges you’ll participate in from 11 options! We have noted which sports correspond to which challenges, but you are invited to participate in whichever challenges you’d like, regardless of which sports you typically play.
Step#3: COMPETE (FROM HOME)
This competition is a safe way for athletes, young athletes/partners, Unified partners and coaches to keep the spirit of Special Olympics Massachusetts alive by competing from home! Here’s how it works:
- CHOOSE YOUR CHALLENGES! Check out all the challenges and practice at home. Keep track of your results on paper as you go and then submit all of your results using this online form.
- You can also submit a video of yourself practicing or a recording of an encouraging message to share!
All results from practice are due by Tuesday May 26th, 2020.
Step#4: CELEBRATE YOUR SUCCESS
Tune in to this celebration on Friday June 12th and Saturday June 13th, 2020 on Special Olympics Massachusetts’ Facebook and YouTube accounts to hear encouraging messages from some familiar faces, and see highlights from the virtual season!
MAKE SURE TO STAY SAFE
Regular physical activity is vital for good physical, social and emotional health. While there is a risk of injury with any type of physical activity, the benefits of staying active far outweigh the risks.
You can reduce your risk of exercise injury by:
- wearing the right shoes
- using the correct equipment
- drinking water and staying hydrated
- warming up and stretching properly
- being aware of your surroundings—always exercise and compete in a safe and level area clear of any obstacles or items
- maintaining social distancing rules (stay at least six feet away from others)
Stop exercising and seek medical help if you experience symptoms such as:
- discomfort or pain
- chest pain or other pain that could indicate a heart attack, including pain in the neck and jaw, pain travelling down the arm or pain between the shoulder blades
- shortness of breath
- a rapid or irregular heartbeat
For More Tips, Recipes and Exercises
Challenge of the Week!
Complete 1 of the Virtual Summer Game Challenge and send in your results!! Post your video or picture on social media using #StayFitWithSOMA. Tag a friend who you challenge!
This week’s topic is all about our Virtual Summer Games!
Join Vicky DiNatale in completing some of the challenges! This is a perfect opportunity to get your numbers/scores for the challenges!
For those who want to participate in the Bounce Ball challenge- I will be timing that so please bring the necessary items for that challenge!
Check out this video of Matt Ruxton, our VP of Sports, competing!
Dont forget about our other Fit 5 goals! Last weeks theme was eating healthy. Continue to also aim for your Fit 5 nutrition goal and eat 5 fruits and vegetables everyday this week!
Don’t forget to commit to stay fit! You’ll receive even more exercises and tips!
Why you should Commit to Stay Fit with SOMA:
- Access to our athlete fitness dashboard
- Weekly email with the blog of the week and info on live fitness class
- Daily wellness goals
- Nutrition tips and recipes
- Winner of the week giveaway!