Get Fit! Feel Good! August Blog
Get Fit! Feel Good! August’s Blog
Recap: July’s goal was to recruit a family member or friend to work out with you! Hopefully you have a new workout buddy to help you achieve your wellness goals. If you don’t have a workout buddy, definitely try to recruit one- Not only do fitness buddies make exercising more fun they help you stick to your commitment and therefore make it more likely for you to reach your wellness goal!
August’s Wellness Goal: De-Stress
Feeling stressed is perfectly normal during certain times in your life but we all know the feeling where our stress becomes overwhelming. Some stress is perfectly normal and sometimes beneficial such as the flight or fight response we as human produce when we are stressed. Besides being a vital warning system, some stress can be used as motivation to help individuals reach a certain goal or task. One study showed that a little amount of stress can actually boost memory.
However once this little amount of stress turn into an overwhelming feeling it can be detrimental to your health. Stress that last for weeks or months will cause high blood pressure, fatigue, depression, anxiety and even heart disease. Stress that last long periods will also weaken the immune system!
Don’t think you’re stressed out? Here are some warning signs to keep an eye out for:
- Inability to concentrate
- Getting sick more often
- Body aches
- Trouble falling asleep or staying awake
- Changes in appetite
To avoid serious health complications due to stress it’s important to learn how to manage your stress. Below are tips that will help you manage, reduce and relieve stress.
- Keep an eye out for signs of stress! Although everyone is different get to know your own body’s warning signals and watch out for them. Above are some common signs associated with stress.
- Know your triggers. All stress has a trigger and these triggers are also different for everyone. Know what triggers your stress and brainstorm solutions. For example if you know public speaking gives you stress start practicing early.
- Time management. Use a calendar or a task management app, make a to-do list, prioritize your work, and make single step action plans.
- Known when to say no. Don’t over commit yourself, saying yes and not being able to follow through or give that task 100% of your focus is worse than just saying no.
- Watch your caffeine intake. Yes caffeine has its benefits but too much caffeine too much can make you anxious, tense and jittery.
How to Relieve/Reduce Stress
- Exercise! Physical stress can relieve mental stress. To get the full benefit make sure to exercise regularly. Exercise reduced stress hormones, improves sleep quality and gives people confidence.
Here are a list of the current fitness programs that are being offered by Special Olympics Massachusetts! To sign up or for more information email Vicky.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boxygen, Newton Ma. Boxing based fitness program
- Western MA hiking Club. Springfield & surrounding towns. Enjoy nature while getting some exercise
- Yawkey Running & Walking Club in Marlborough. No matter your fitness level we have a spot for you!
- Family Bootcamp at Yawkey in Marlborough- Will resume in the fall, we host class 1x a month for families to work out together!
- Worcester State Fitness Program- walk the indoor track, use the fitness facility or take group exercise classes. There is a something for everyone.
- Fit 5 – usually done with your local program or team
- Anytime Fitness Partnership (check in to see if an Anytime Fitness near you is offering anything)
- Fit Friends & Families
- Yoga at the Yawk.
- If we don’t have anything in your area start a local walking club yourself!! I will support and help get the club established.
- Try relaxation techniques. Try meditation, listen to calming music, focus on words or phrases that are positive, light a candle or try using essential oils.
- Do yoga. Yoga is a mind-body practice, not only are is yoga about the physical pose it’s all about controlled breathing and relaxation. Here is a 7 minute yoga for stress relief video
- Get more sleep. One major cause of stress in the first place is lack of sleep!
- Talk to someone. Talking things over with someone close to you will release some built up tension and can allow you to see things clearly.
12 Months of Wellness
Next Months Wellness Goals: Recruit a Family Member
|March||Plant/ Try Gardening|
|May||Quit A Bad Habit|
|June||Try to Eliminate Sugar|
|July||Recruit a Family Member|
|September||Connect with nature|
|October||Change it up|
|November||Cold Season Ready|
|December||Enjoy the season & Reflect|