Get Fit! Feel Good! July 2018
July is UV Safety Month
Be safe in the sun, take these steps to protect yourself!
- Clothing can help protect your skin so cover up until the sun goes down
- Wear a hat and UV blocking sun glasses to help protect your face & eyes
- Apply sunscreen to any exposed skin, and continue to reapply throughout the day
July Fitness Tip: How to Survive a Summer BBQ
- Use small plates- research shows that people who choose smaller plates eat less without noticing it.
- Eat slowly and mindfully- Pace yourself as you mingle with friends and family
- Eat healthy foods first- Watery vegetable digest slower and have fewer calories so a salad would be the perfect choice. Add protein and a small amount of oil to feel full sooner.
- Skip Crackers, chip & bread- save your calories for the good stuff
- If you are going to have dessert- keep it small!!
Muscle of the Month: Back
There are two major back muscles: Trapezius and Latissimus Dorsi
The Trapezius (traps) is shaped like a trapezoid and starts at the skull and runs down the upper section of the back to the middle section. The Latissimus Dorsi (lats) is the largest back muscle and is a fan shaped muscle covering the lower back section.
Exercise of the Month: Row
Can be done either at home or at a gym. You can use dumbbells, kettle bells, a band, a machine, or no weights at all. If you don’t have dumbbells look at the modification section for at home items that can used instead.
Single Arm Dumbbell/ Kettle bell Row – Hold a weight in one hand, bend your knees slightly then bending at the hips bring your upper body (chest) forward until it is almost parallel to the floor. The arm with the weight should be straight out with a slight bend in the elbow. For support your free hand can be either placed on a bench, chair or your knee. Make sure your core is tight (squeeze it) and back is flat. Now slowly bring the weight straight up towards your chest (keep the weight close to your body). Do not move your body ONLY your arm. Once the weight is inline with your chest slowly lower the weight back down. Start with a small weight you feel comfortable with, repeat the exercise on the same arm 8-10 times then switch arms.
Double Arm Band Row– Hold the band with both hands and step in the middle (securing the band with your feet). Have a slight bend in your knees, now bending at the hips bring your upper body (chest) forward until it is almost parallel to the floor. Arms are out in front of you, with a slight bend in the elbow. Core is tight and the back should be flat. Now slowly pull the band back until your hand is about chest level then slowly lower the band down. Again, sure your upper body does not more and only your arms do. Repeat 5-10 times.
Machines– Gyms have many different types of assisted row machines, ask a gym representative to show you how to use one!
Modifications: Household objects can be used as weights: try using body weight, a can of soup, or a bottle of water. Instead of a bench the exercise can be done from the ground!
Nutrient of the Month: Zucchini
Zucchini’s can be baked, cooked on a skillet or grilled!
Here are a few benefits of zucchini’s:
- Low in carbohydrates, high in fiber
- Packed with skin- friendly vitamins (A, E and C)
- Can improve heart health
- Enhances digestion
This Instead of That:
- Replace pasta with zucchini noodles
- Replace a Chicken Parmesan dinner with Zucchini Parmesan dinner
- Instead of potato chips make healthy zucchini chips!
Recipe of the Month: Zucchini Noodles with Blistered Tomatoes and Pesto
From Chef Savvy
- 2 zucchinis, cut into thin noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, whole
- ¼ cup mozzarella, torn
- ¼ cup pinenuts
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Let the zucchini sit for 10 minutes and squeeze out any extra moisture. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet over high heat.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until caramelized on the outside and tender. If they are burning turn the heat down a bit. Set aside.
- In another skillet, toast pine nuts (with no oil) until lightly browned on the outside. Do not burn.
- You can serve these noodles either warm or cold.
- To serve this dish cold toss the noodles, tomatoes, mozzarella, toasted pine nuts and pesto together. Serve immediately or place in the refrigerator to chill.
- To serve warm add ½ tablespoon olive oil to a skillet (you can use the one you toasted pine nuts in or cooked tomatoes) Add in noodles and cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through. Toss in pesto and tomatoes and cook for 1-2 additional minutes to heat through. Take off of the heat and sprinkle with mozzarella and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately.