Get Fit! Feel Good! January Blog
Happy New Years!
2019 has finally arrived meaning this is your chance to hit the reset button and start fresh on your health and wellness goals or resolutions. I mean what better time to start than the beginning of a new year! New Year, New Goals!
Experts says it takes about 21 days to form a habit and I know that living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t happen overnight, it takes small changes over a period of time. Trying to start a fitness routine, eat healthier, and break a bad habit (such as smoking, eating fast food or drinking soda) can lead many of us to be unsuccessful with our goals. This is due to the fact that we are setting to many expectations and unrealistic goals.
Instead of overwhelming your mind and body with multiple changes at once, try breaking up your wellness goals so that they occur on a monthly basis. This will allow yourself to focus each month (those very important 21+ days) on one goal completely.
I have created the 12 months of wellness to assist you in the month to month goal setting. Each month on our blog we will dive deeper into a specific topic.
12 Months of Wellness
|March||Plant/ Try Gardening|
|May||Quit Another Bad Habit|
|June||Try to Eliminate Sugar|
|July||Recruit a Family Member|
|September||Connect with nature|
|October||Change it up|
|November||Cold Season Ready|
|December||Enjoy the season & Reflect|
This month’s goal: Get moving!
January is a hard month for many of us when it comes to getting enough physical activity. Not only do we have modern conveniences (cars, elevators, computer etc.), up here in New England we are dealing with the cold winter weather and the fact that it gets dark by 5 pm.
Physical activity is very important for our overall health. It makes our heart strong and can help reduce the risk of developing several diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular diseases. Getting more physical activity doesn’t mean jumping on a treadmill and running 12 miles your first day at the gym. Over-doing it in the beginning of a new routine could cause soreness and could possibly lead to injury which will ultimately cause you to lose motivation and momentum.
Here are some easy ways to increase your activity:
- Don’t have time to walk for 30 minutes? Take a 5 minute walk 6 times throughout the day
- Take the stairs
- Park the car further away from the store
- Try a new sport or activity such as rollerblading, tennis, hiking or biking
- Walk around your building for a break during the work day or during lunch
- Walk down the hall to speak with someone rather than using the telephone at work
- Try a new exercise class at your gym
- Do house work
- Stand up while watching TV, take a walk during commercials or before starting your next Netflix episode
- At the mall? Walk an extra lap or two before or after you shop
Even more tips to be successful with your wellness goals for the month of January!
- Getting moving/ getting more physical activity is a broad goal. Try to make smaller more specific goals during this month such as walking an extra 100 steps a day, going on a walk during lunch every day, be able to walk a certain time or distance without any breaks
- Put it on your calendar, make exercise a priority- treat it like an appointment you cant miss!
- Make a playlist for your walks or workouts
- Set a reminder or alarm on your phone throughout the day