Stay Fit With SOMA 9/14
This week’s theme is: A Football Themed Workout
Every week we post exercise videos, nutrition tips, and more on our blog to provide you with opportunities to stay fit and active even at home! This weeks blog is a workout inspired by the start of football season!
Football Themed Workout
This workout is a body weight workout meaning no equipment is necessary! It can be done inside or outside, whichever you prefer. Tight or small space to work out in? No problem! Each of these exercises can be done in small spaces. Modifications for each exercise is available. The video demonstrates each each exercise (along with their modification). Below the video is a list of the exercises and a description.
Do each exercise anywhere from 10 to 45 seconds. Do all of the exercise 2 or 3 times. Make sure to get a proper warm up before you complete the workout and end the workout with a proper cool down!
- Lateral High Knee Jog– In this exercise you will jog or shuffle laterally ( from one side to another then back) while doing high knees. Make sure to get your knees up, engage your core and utilize those arms!
- Modification #1: If its the jog that is uncomfortable you can do the lateral high knees while walking!
- Modification #2: If moving side to side is uncomfortable then just do high knees while stationary
- Jog forward + Back Pedal- In this exercise you will jog forward about 5 steps or so. Then quickly move your feet to back pedal. Your arms can be straight out in front of you or by your side moving. Make sure your area is cleared so you dont trip over anything! Tip* Place two cones or another marker down so you go the same length each time.
- Modification: Instead of jogging, slow it down to a walk
- Fast Feet Touch Downs– Staying in one spot, move your feet quickly, almost like your sprinting in place (this is fast feet). After about 5 steps or so, squat down touching your palm to the ground (or as close to the ground as possible). When you squat to touch the ground, make sure to sit those hips back like your sitting in a chair, keeping your knees out wide and behind out toes! After touching the ground stand back up and continue to do fast feet. After 5 more steps touch the ground with the opposite hand
- Modification: Skip the squat and just do fast feet!
- Heisman– In this exercise you’ll pretend to be a Heisman!! First jog in place, after 5 steps lift the right knee to the left elbow or hand. Take your right arm and reach it out to the side as if you are blocking a tackle. Then jog 5 more steps and repeat on the opposite side. This exercise is a good for working on balance
- Jumping Jacks- good old jumping jacks! Starting by standing with your feet together and hands by your side. Jump you feet to a wide stance, at the same time as your feet move your hands above your hands. Jump your feet back together and bring your arms back down.
- Modification: Instead of jumping, step the right leg out wide. As you step your right foot out wide, bring your arms overhead. Step your right foot back in and bring your arms down by your side and repeat on the left leg.
Live Fitness this week (9/16): Theme to be determine!
Meeting ID: 852 0714 5442
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcE7uUuQCr
Looking Ahead! Join us for our Brave Yoga- A Unified Virtual Yoga Program Coming This October! Check out the program’s page here for more information about the program and to register! During this program, individuals will experience a relaxing but fun yoga class as well as tools for mindful breathing and stress reducing techniques.
For ideas on how to stay active this week, commit to stay fit! You’ll get even more access to great exercises and tips!
Why you should Commit to Stay Fit with SOMA:
- Access to our athlete fitness dashboard
- Wellness goals
- Nutrition tips and recipes