Resources for Coaches & Local Programs
- Becoming a Certified Special Olympics Coach
To become a Special Olympics Massachusetts Coach you must complete the following:
- Complete a Class A Application Form
- Complete the online Protective Behaviors Course.
- Complete Concussion Awareness Training thru the NFHS (note: you will need to list “Special Olympics MA” as your Organization name under your account for SOMA to internally track results) OR the Concussion Awareness Training thru the CDC (this one is more user friendly, but you will need to email SOMA a copy of your completion certificate as we do not internally track results.
- Complete the online SOMA General Orientation Course.
Beyond the role of Coach, you can become a Head Coach by completing the following:
- Complete a Unified Sports Course to coach a Unified Sports team here (note: you will need to list “Special Olympics MA” as your Organization name under your account)
- Complete the SOMA Sport Specific Certification:
Sports Specific test is intended to be informational and provide sport specific information and links to help coaches become better informed. This is good for Special Olympics Massachusetts Sport Specific Head Coach Certification Coaches must receive a 90% passing grade and can take the test multiple times if needed. Certification is good for three years within a particular sport
Find your sport specific test:
- Helpful Coaching Resources
Below are some links to websites that Special Olympics Massachusetts have found to be helpful and educational for all coaches. These resources will help our coaches become more knowledge and better coaches thus allowing our participants to grow to become better athletes in their sport of play.
If you know of other resources please let us know so we may share them with all our coaches.
- Complete a Coaching the Special Olympics Athlete Course here
- Sports National Governing Body (NGBs) Coaches Trainings. (i.e. Mass Youth Soccer, etc.)
- American Sport Education Program (ASEP) ONLINE COURSES.
- Positive Coaching Alliance – DOUBLE GOAL
- Jr. NBA – Skills and Drills videos and resources
- Autism and Instructional Strategies for Coaching
Special Olympics Coaches Guides
Special Olympics International provides all coaches with thorough, practical and informative tools and guides. The information provided assists with everything from sports rules, 8-10 week training guides, practice schedules, unique sport specific information and general coaches’ enrichment. Coaches guides are updated periodically to ensure new and interesting articles and tips are available. Up to date coaches guides can be found here.
- SOMA Coach Certification Database
Database Last Updated: January 30th, 2017
Please use the dropdowns and search features below to find your record. Click on your last name to go to your personal profile page. If the search bar is not showing anything, try refreshing your browser.
Please note that the Unified Sports and General Orientation dates listed are the effective dates. Those certifications are good for your entire life. The other certifications listed display the expiration date for that specific training. If there is no date next to a certification, that means you have not taken it yet. To help simplify the process of re-certifying, all training’s taken in 2016, regardless of when in 2016 they were taken, now have an expiration date of 12/31/2019.
If you see any errors or missing certifications in your profile, please contact the Business Operations department at Ops@SpecialOlympicsMA.org
Total Records Found: 15105, showing 25 per page First Name Last Name Program Role Timothy Regan MID - A - EMARC Coach Gilberto Molina HMD - C - West Springfield Youth Sports Chaperone John Bassi BER - C - Red Raiders Chaperone Mary-Beth Grenier WOR - C - Auburn Rocketeers Coach Mary Lynn Pergantis NOR - A - Brookline Coach John Beach PLY - A - Cardinal Cushing Centers Unified Partner Robert Beach PLY - A - Cardinal Cushing Centers Coach Susan Malena HMD - C - Greater Springfield Coach Lindsey Suprenant BRI - C - Greater New Bedford Coach Tyler Decoster NOR - C - Franklin Coach John Dempsey BRI - C - North Attleboro Schools Coach Jean Comfort PLY - C - Scituate Coach James Saffle BAR - C - Sandwich Sharks Coach Nathan Almond BRI - C - Greater New Bedford Coach Sarah Norris South.06 - SS Coach Joseph Neimann NOR - A - Brookline Coach Michael Cabral ESS - C - Andover Rising Stars Coach Gary Wheeler MID - C - Hopkinton Coach Diane Pirro HMD - C - Westfield Coach Barbara Talbot ESS - C - Yellow Jackets Gymnastics Coach Rachel Hallett BRI - C - Bay State Gymnastics Academy Coach Elizabeth Adams BAR - A - Emerald Hollow Therapeutic Coach Jordyn Giddens BRI - C - Mansfield Coach Sarah Welch ESS - A - Northeast ARC Coach Doreen Rushins ESS - C - Lynn Coach
- Special Olympics Massachusetts Modified Rules and Video Tutorials
Note all S.O. rules are based on National Governing body rules and NGB rules shall be employed unless in conflict with Special Olympics and Special Olympics Massachusetts modifications
- Track & Field (Athletics) rules modifications here
- Flag Football Rules HERE
- Soccer Rules: Special Olympics Massachusetts Modifications & Highlights Here
- Flag Football Rules – Video Tutorial here
- Differences between Unified Sports and Unified Sports Player Development Levels .
- Summary of suggestions for coach education here
- Sport Safety
- If there is an injury at practice fill out the Special Olympics Incident report and return to Special Olympics Massachusetts Business Operations department firstname.lastname@example.org
- Here is a great resource for all coaches and programs to read and have from the Center of Disease control when it comes to treating, reacting and dealing with an individual who is having a seizure. CDC 1st aid for seizures
- A Coaches Aid to First Aid by David Paterson. This in depth article provides coaches on the appropriate steps to follow and links to resources to a variety of different first aid situations you may encounter on the playing field, from head injuries, bleeding, heat issues, sprains & strains
- Coming Soon SOMA Sport Safety power point / overview
- Resources for Local Programs
Financial Management Guidelines
2016 Financial Management for Local Programs
Uniform Guidelines & Logos
- A guide for local programs concerning team uniforms can be found here
- For logos and other graphic resources please contact your Community Development Manager
Special Olympics MA Codes of Conduct
Special Olympics General Rules