The Winter Season at Special Olympics Massachusetts runs from Mid-November to Mid-March. The season is host to numerous community competitions, state qualifying tournaments, basketball leagues, invitational events and culminates with multiple Season Ending Tournaments.
During this time frame over 3,000 Special Olympics athletes will train and participate in a variety of different sports and events, including: Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Figure Skating, Floor Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Ten Pin Bowling, Snowboarding and Speed Skating.
To volunteer for Special Olympics Massachusetts during the Winter Season visit our online registration or for more detailed information see the volunteer accordion below.
Results coming soon.
- 2017-2018 BOWLING SEASON OVERVIEW (as of 12/08/17 document will be updated as invitational dates are booked)
- 2017-2018 BASKETBALL SEASON OVERVIEW (as of 12/08/17 document will be updated as Tournament dates are booked)
- 2018 WINTER SEASON INFORMATION PACKET (As of 12/08/17)
- 2018 WINTER SEASON DEADLINES
- Western MA
- Central MA – December 2nd CPR & First Aid
- North Shore
- South Shore
Interested in volunteering during the Winter Season at Special Olympics? Special Olympics Massachusetts has the following volunteer opportunities through out the season
- Volunteer with our programs on a weekly basis helping out at practice
- Volunteer at one of our competitions
To sign up to volunteer visit our online registration
If you are interested in volunteering at an event, here is a list of potential jobs you may work at a venue during the winter season.
Basketball Season Overview
- 2018 Basketball Season Overview (As of 12/16. To be updated as Tournament dates are booked)
For Basketball Community Games (i.e .local competition)
see next tab below titled “Basketball Local Tournament Information”
Basketball Forms and Rules
- Basketball Registration form
- Special Olympics Massachusetts Basketball Rules Updated 1/27/17
- BASKETBALL RATING FORM
- Differences between Unified Sports and Unified Sports Player Development Levels .
Qualifying Tournament Information
- Regis College (Weston)- February 4, 2018
- RIVERS SCHOOL (WESTON)- FEBRUARY 4, 2018
- WESTON HIGH SCHOOL- FEBRUARY 4, 2018
- Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School– February 10, 2018
- Stonehill College – February 10, 2018
Venue assignments will be posted following the registration deadline.
No qualifying tournament for Juniors (ages 8-15) teams and Unified Sports Player Development Teams
- Visit the Resources for Coaches page and look in the Helpful Resources for Coaches for a link to Skills and Drills for Basketball teams from the Jr. NBA
- Basketball Team Rating Tutorial:
Special Olympics Massachusetts offers a variety of local basketball tournaments (what is termed community games) for the 179 basketball teams that participate throughout the Winter Season. These tournaments serve as both an avenue for more basketball opportunities for our teams in the community and also as part of the advancement criteria to move up the ladder to a season ending tournament. A Local Community Game matches teams of similar discipline for a one day round robin event.
Community Games Assignments
- 2017 /2018 BASKETBALL COMMUNITY GAMES ASSIGNMENTS
- Updated as of: December 15th @ 3:30 p.m.
SOMA will assign all teams to a venue so your schedule is set for you before the season starts and teams don’t have worry about missing deadlines or venues. All games are scheduled to be as close to your home location as possible and also by scheduling all teams SOMA can match up (as best as possible) teams ability level to help create a more balanced event.
Bowling Season Overview
- 2017-2018 BOWLING SEASON OVERVIEW (as of 11/16/17 document will be updated as invitational dates are booked)
Bowling Season Overview contains all Local Invitational Event information, such as locations, dates, event quota’s per team.
State Qualifying Tournaments
- Unified Bowling Qualifier, AMF Auburn, Auburn January 27, 2018
- Traditional Bowling Qualifier, Westgate Lanes, Brockton, January 28, 2018
- Unified Bowling Qualifier, Boston Bowl, Dorchester, February 4, 2018
- Traditional Bowling Qualifier, Sparetime Lanes, Northampton February 4, 2018
- Bowl a Drome, Woburn,
- Metro Bowl, Peabody
- South Shore, Alley Kat Lanes, Kingston,
All figure and speed skaters will compete at the Special Olympics Connecticut Winter Games February 25th & 26th 2018
- Speed Skating Registration Form (SOCT’s form)
- Figure Skating Registration Form (SOCT’s form)
- Please note SOMA uses SOCT event registration codes for speed skating and figure skating
Speed Skating Invitational
Skiing Registration Forms
- General Schedule will be listed in the Event Guide
- Coaches will receive their coach’s packet at the coaches meeting on Saturday morning.
- Included will be updated schedule, racing bibs, lift passes.
- All racing bibs must be returned. Any bibs not returned programs/individuals will be charged a $10 replacement fee.
- Alpine Time Trials February 10th, 2018
- Special Olympics Nordic Skiing Rules
- Nordic skiers will compete at the Special Olympics Connecticut state games
For complete tournament information such as schedules, housing locations, directions, meals (locations times, menu), special events (dance, Olympic town, healthy athletes), local attractions for families please refer to the Season Ending Event Guide.
Juniors Basketball Basketball Tournament
Unified Sports Player Development Basketball Tournament
- March 10-11, 2018
- Traditional Basketball & Unified Sports Basketball (Seniors & Masters age groups)
- Traditional Bowling & Unified Sports Bowling
- Floor Hockey
- Basketball Skills (Saturday March 11th Only)