As an Athlete
Get Involved as an Athlete
Special Olympics Massachusetts offers year-round sports training and competition to athletes with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics training programs and competitions are offered to athletes of all ages and take place throughout the year.
Through 24 sports and across all four seasons in every county of the state, athletes develop athletic skills, personal responsibility and leadership. The Young Athletes program introduces children, ages 2-7, to the benefits of movement and play.
For all athletes 8 and older, our traditional programs deliver a real sports experience that can become part of an ongoing healthy lifestyle.
There is no age limit for athletes at Special Olympics. All of the sports are offered at a senior level and due to the growing population of our older athletes, the Senior Sports program offers low-impact competition exclusively for athletes over the age of 40.
Getting started (ages 8 and up)
For all athletes ages 8 and older, our traditional programs deliver a real sports experience that can become part of an ongoing healthy lifestyle. Programs offer competitive sport and training opportunities year round.
Please complete the following steps to become an athlete:
- Complete the Athlete Application for Participation form (The form is only valid with all signatures completed, must be signed by a licensed medical examiner and is valid for three years.)
- Send completed form to one of the following:
- EMAIL: GetInvolved@specialolympicsma.org
- MAIL: SOMA, ATTN: Get Involved, 512 Forest Street, Marlborough, MA 01752
- FAX: 508-481-0786
- Complete the Athlete Interest Form. This will allow us to place you with the appropriate local program
- A member of our team will be in contact within two weeks from the time we receive both forms to place you in a local program.
Special Olympics Young Athletes is a sport and play program for children with and without intellectual disabilities (ID), ages 2 to 7 years old. Young Athletes introduces basic sport skills like running, kicking and throwing. Young Athletes offers families, teachers, caregivers and people from the community the chance to share the joy of sports with all children. Here are our program postings for the upcoming seasons:
2019 Fall Season Young Athlete Program Postings (ages 2-7):
- 2019 Cushing Academy Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Ashburnham, MA)
- 2019 Elms College Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Chicopee, MA)
- 2019 Milford Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Milford, MA)
- 2019 Sandwich Recreation Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Sandwich, MA)
- 2019 UMass Amherst Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Amherst, MA)
- 2019 Weston Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Weston, MA)
- 2019 Yawkey Sports Training Center Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Marlboro, MA)
- November 3, 2019 – My First Sports Experience at the SOMA Soccer Cup (Byfield, MA)
- REGISTRATION FULL (As of August 29th): 2019 Thayer Academy Fall Season Young Athletes Program (Braintree, MA)
- REGISTRATION FULL (As Of August 20th): 2019 Merrimack College Fall Season Young Athletes Program (North Andover, MA)
If interested in learning more about how to start a Young Athletes program within your local community groups, Early Childhood Centers, Elementary Schools, agencies and universities, we would love to work with you to make that happen! The Special Olympics Young Athletes Resources page contains everything you would need to start a program including the Young Athletes activity guide, instructional videos and coaches training guides.
Please contact Eric Archambault for more details.
Please refer to the map below to find a Young Athlete program location near you. You can select the icons on the map which includes a link to each program’s registration form. All programs meet at different times during the year, so the seasonal dates and times are in the process of being confirmed for 2019. As that information becomes available, we will inform you through email. The current program happenings across the state are also listed above.
Any new Young Athlete program locations will be added to this map throughout the year as well.
- If you would like a printable registration form, please email email@example.com
- For more resources and information on the Young Athlete program, click here
Special Olympics Young Athletes provides children with a general introduction to the fundamental
gross motor movements that will help them become more successful in sport. While children can
participate in Young Athletes through age seven, as children get older, they are often ready for
more sport-specific coaching and instruction.
Developmental sports activities can provide an age-appropriate introduction to sports for children
with and without intellectual disabilities, ages 6-12 years old. Sport participation helps children
develop physically, mentally and socially and contributes to the development of long-term healthy
lifestyles. The fundamental skills and training opportunities gained through developmental sports
activities can support children in their growth as Special Olympics athletes and unified partners.
2019 Fall Season Developmental Sports Program Postings (ages 6-12):
- 2019 Cardinal Cushing Developmental Sports Program (Hanover, MA)
- Volunteers needed for this location! If interested, please email Eric Archambault
- 2019 St. Mark’s School Developmental Sports Program (Southborough, MA)
- 2019 Westwood Developmental Sports Program (Westwood, MA)
If interested in learning more about how to start a Developmental program within your local community groups, agencies and universities, we would love to work with you to make that happen!
Please contact Eric Archambault for more details.