As an Athlete
Get Involved as an Athlete
Special Olympics Massachusetts offers year-round sports training and competition to athletes with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics training programs and competitions are offered to athletes of all ages and take place throughout the year.
Through 24 sports and across all four seasons in every county of the state, athletes develop athletic skills, personal responsibility and leadership. The Young Athletes program introduces children, ages 2-7, to the benefits of movement and play.
For all athletes 8 and older, our traditional programs deliver a real sports experience that can become part of an ongoing healthy lifestyle.
There is no age limit for athletes at Special Olympics. All of the sports are offered at a senior level and due to the growing population of our older athletes, the Senior Sports program offers low-impact competition exclusively for athletes over the age of 40.
Getting started (ages 8 and up)
Please complete the following steps to become an athlete:
- Complete the Athlete Application for Participation form (The form is only valid with all signatures completed, must be signed by a licensed medical examiner and is valid for three years.)
- Send completed form to one of the following:
- EMAIL: GetInvolved@specialolympicsma.org
- MAIL: SOMA, ATTN: Get Involved, 512 Forest Street, Marlborough, MA 01752
- FAX: 508-481-0786
- Complete the Athlete Interest Form. This will allow us to place you with the appropriate local program
- A member of our team will be in contact within two weeks from the time we receive both forms to place you in a local program.
2019 Winter Season Young Athlete Program Postings (ages 2-7):
- 2019 Revere Recreation Winter Season Young Athletes Program (Revere, MA)
- 2019 Northeast Arc Winter Season Young Athletes Program (South Hamilton, MA)
- 2019 Cardinal Cushing Winter Season Young Athletes Program (Hanover, MA)
- 2019 Yawkey Sports Training Center Winter Season Young Athletes Program (Marlborough, MA)
- 2019 Tabor Academy Winter Season Young Athletes Program (Marion, MA)
2019 Winter Season Unified Junior’s Program Postings (ages 7-10):
Please refer to the map below to find a Young Athlete program location near you. You can select the icons on the map which includes a link to each program’s registration form. All programs meet at different times during the year, so the seasonal dates and times are in the process of being confirmed for 2019. As that information becomes available, we will inform you through email. The current program happenings across the state are also listed above.
Any new Young Athlete program locations will be added to this map throughout the year as well.
- Don’t see your region? Inspired to learn more? Please CONTACT US today.
- If you would like a printable registration form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more resources and information on the Young Athlete program, click here