As an Athlete
Get Involved as an Athlete
Special Olympics Massachusetts offers year-round sports training and competition to athletes with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics training programs and competitions are offered to athletes of all ages and take place throughout the year.
Due to to Covid-19 we have begun several virtual programming options including our weekly fitness blog and live fitness class. We are slowly returning to in person practice and activity as well. More information can be found in our return to play guidelines.
Through 23 sports and across all four seasons in every county of the state, athletes develop athletic skills, personal responsibility and leadership. The Young Athletes program introduces children, ages 2-7, to the benefits of movement and play.
For all athletes 8 and older, our traditional programs deliver a real sports experience that can become part of an ongoing healthy lifestyle.
There is no age limit for athletes at Special Olympics. All of the sports are offered at a senior level and due to the growing population of our older athletes, the Senior Sports program offers low-impact competition exclusively for athletes over the age of 40.
View our Transition Brochure to see all the opportunities for Special Olympics Athletes, from ages 2 and up.
Getting started (ages 8 and up)
For all athletes ages 8 and older, our traditional programs deliver a real sports experience that can become part of an ongoing healthy lifestyle. Programs offer competitive sport and training opportunities year round.
Please complete the following steps to become an athlete:
- Complete the Athlete Interest Form. This will allow us to place you with the appropriate local program
- Complete the Athlete Application for Participation form (The form is only valid with all signatures completed, must be signed by a licensed medical examiner and is valid for three years.)
- Send completed form to one of the following:
- EMAIL: GetInvolved@specialolympicsma.org
- MAIL: SOMA, ATTN: Get Involved, 512 Forest Street, Marlborough, MA 01752
- FAX: 508-481-0786
- A member of our team will be in contact within two weeks from the time we receive both forms to place you in a local program.
Special Olympics Young Athletes is an introductory sport and play program for children with and without intellectual disabilities (ID), ages 2-7 years old. Young Athletes introduces basic sport and motor skills like running, jumping, kicking and throwing.
A child can then transition to a Level 2 program after they complete the early Young Athletes program. Children ages 6-12 years old with and without intellectual disabilities are eligible to participate. This is a great program option for those who aren’t necessarily ready to join a competitive team yet, but still need gradual sport specific coaching. A couple different sports are reviewed each season.