As an Athlete
Get Involved as an Athlete
Special Olympics Massachusetts offers year-round sports training and competition to athletes with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics training programs and competitions are offered to athletes of all ages and take place throughout the year.
Through 24 sports and across all four seasons in every county of the state, athletes develop athletic skills, personal responsibility and leadership. The Young Athletes program introduces children, ages 2-7, to the benefits of movement and play.
For all athletes 8 and older, our traditional programs deliver a real sports experience that can become part of an ongoing healthy lifestyle.
There is no age limit for athletes at Special Olympics. All of the sports are offered at a senior level and due to the growing population of our older athletes, the Senior Sports program offers low-impact competition exclusively for athletes over the age of 40.
Getting started (ages 7 and up)
Please complete the following steps to become an athlete:
- Complete the Athlete Application for Participation form (The form is only valid with all signatures completed, must be signed by a licensed medical examiner and is valid for three years.)
- Send completed form to one of the following:
- EMAIL: Eric.Archambault@specialolympicsma.org
- MAIL: SOMA, ATTN: Eric Archambault, 512 Forest Street, Marlborough, MA 01752
- FAX: 508-481-0786
- Complete the Athlete Interest Form. This will allow us to place you with the appropriate local program
- A member of our team will be in contact within two weeks from the time we receive both forms to place you in a local program.
Complete the following steps to get involved as a young athlete:
2017 Fall – Winter Season Programs
- Northeast Arc, South Hamilton MA
- Sandwich Recreation, Forestdale, MA
- Tabor Academy, Marion MA (Winter 2017-2018)
- Thayer Academy, Braintree MA (Spring 2018)
You will be contacted within a week and put in touch with the Young Athlete program
- Don’t see your region? Inspired to learn more? Please CONTACT US today.
- If you would like a printable registration form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more resources and information on the Young Athlete program, click here