Stay Fit With SOMA 7/20
This week’s theme is Sun Safety!
Every week we post exercise videos, nutrition tips, and more on our blog to provide you with opportunities to stay fit and active even at home! This video blog will focus on how to stay safe while enjoying the sun this summer.
UV rays from the sun can cause cancer. Damage from sun exposure builds up over time, so sun protection should start at an early age!
- Seek shade, especially during midday hours. Umbrellas, trees, or other shelters can provide relief from the sun.
- Be extra careful around surfaces that reflect the sun’s rays, like snow, sand, water, and concrete.
- Wear sun protection gear like a hat with a wide brim and sunglasses to protect your face and eyes.
- Sunglasses protect your eyes from UV rays and reduce the risk of cataracts and other eye problems.
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt and pants or a long skirt for additional protection when possible. If that’s not practical, try wearing a T-shirt or a beach cover-up.
- Apply a thick layer of broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher at least 15 minutes before going outside, even on cloudy or overcast days. Reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours and after swimming, sweating, or toweling off.
Comment down below! How are you enjoying the sun this summer?
Instead of regular live fitness this week we are going to have a Special Smiles event this Wednesday (7/22) at 3pm on Zoom!
Although we cant have in-person heath screening we want to make sure that you have the proper tools and information you need to stay healthy!
Not brushing your teeth properly can lead to a number of issues such as tooth decay, gum disease, and plaque build up. Our Special Smiles Clinical Director, Maureen Gillis will be discussing the following during the presentation
- Oral Health for Athletes.
- The importance of brushing, flossing, proper nutrition and protecting your teeth as athletes.
- Total Health, how the mouth is connected to the entire body.
- What does it look like now going to the dentist which might be different than last year?
- How the role of the caregiver may change during these office visits.
Let’s have fun while learning about your oral health!
For ideas on how to stay active this week, commit to stay fit! You’ll get access to great exercises and tips!
Why you should Commit to Stay Fit with SOMA:
- Access to our athlete fitness dashboard
- Wellness goals
- Nutrition tips and recipes