Stay Fit With SOMA- Week of 3/30
Every week we’ll be posting exercise videos, nutrition tips, and more on our blog to provide you with opportunities to stay fit and active even at home! Plus – if you commit to stay fit you’ll receive access to our athlete fitness dashboard, daily wellness goals, fitness videos, live fitness class, giveaways and more!
Exercise of the week! – Planks!
The exercise of the week is a plank demonstrated by Special Olympics Massachusetts athlete and Global Health Messenger Beth Donahue. Planks are a great way to strengthen your core and can also be modified for your fitness level by using your knees or by doing it for shorter periods of time.
We challenge you to take a video of you doing your plank for as long as you can, however is most comfortable for you, then post your video on social media using #StayFitWithSOMA. Then tag a friend who you challenge to do a plank for as long as they can!
Live online fitness classes – Wednesday at 3 p.m.!
Join Fitness and Competition Coordinator Vicky DiNatale at 3pm on Wednesday for a live online fitness class via Zoom! Wear comfortable clothes and find a room with some space to work out. Don’t forget to have water available to rehydrate!
Kelly Phillips from Totally Adaptive Fitness has a great work out for everyone to try this week! She breaks down each exercise for different ability levels, so we can all get moving and have fun. ‘
Nutrition Tip – Easy & Healthy English Muffin Veggie Pizza
- At a time like this many people are reaching for comfort foods, however, it’s important we still get key nutrients that our bodies need to stay healthy. Check out this recipe for an English muffin veggie pizza, made from items you can find in most stores or might already have in your own house. It’s the perfect combination of comfort and health!
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted
- 1/3 cup of pizza or pasta sauce
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms slices
- 1/4 cup chopped green peppers (green peppers can come from a frozen bag!)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (If you can’t find shredded cheese in your store, get a block of cheese and shred it yourself, or use slices of cheese)
- Optional: 1 tbsp of Parmesan grated topping
- Lightly toast English muffins in toaster or toaster oven.
- While English muffins are toasting, if you have frozen veggies, cook them following the instructions on the package.
- Carefully remove English muffins once they are lightly toasted.
- First spread pizza or pasta sauce on the English muffins, then add the mushroom and peppers. Lastly, cover the English muffins with the shredded cheese.
- Place English muffins in oven (preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit) or toaster oven and toast until the cheese is melted.
Alternative Options: This recipe can be changed to include whatever veggies or meat you have in your home. Instead of mushrooms or peppers add spinach or onion if that’s what you have. Or if you have some time, make home-made sauce instead of store bought. If you have some meat, try cooking ground beef or turkey then add it to your pizza!
Fit 5 Tip
Adding vegetables to comfort food such as English Muffin pizzas are a great way to help you reach your fit 5 goals. Remember to try and eat 5 fruits or vegetables each day!