Stay Fit With SOMA – Week of 4/13
Every week we’ll be posting exercise videos, nutrition tips, and more on our blog to provide you with opportunities to stay fit and active even at home! Plus – if you commit to stay fit you’ll receive even more exercises and tips!
Why you should Commit to Stay Fit with SOMA:
- Access to our athlete fitness dashboard
- Weekly email with the blog of the week and info on live fitness class
- Daily wellness goals
- Nutrition tips and recipes
- Winner of the week giveaway!
Exercise of the week – Wall Sit Challenge!
The exercise of the week is a wall sit! Wall sits are a great way to strengthen your lower body and core. It can be modified to increase or decrease difficulty and you can do it for as long or short as you need.
We challenge you to take a video of you doing a wall sit for as long as you can, however is most comfortable for you, then post your video on social media using #StayFitWithSOMA. Tag a friend who you challenge to do a wall sit!
Join Fitness and Competition Coordinator Vicky DiNatale at 3pm on Wednesday for a live online fitness class via Zoom! Wear comfortable clothes and find a room with some space to work out. Don’t forget to have water available to rehydrate!
This week is strength training with items that can be found at home. Here it what you’ll need!
RECAP from the video. What you’ll need this Wednesday:
- Pick from these: 2 cans or water bottles, 2 either half or full gallons of water or other liquid, or 2 laundry detergents (If you have a few of these items I would suggest bringing multiple items so that have different weight options).
- Towel (Preferably a bath towel. Alternatives: beach towel, blanket)
- Backpack or Duffel Bag (filled with books, cans and other objects, to a weight you feel comfortable lifting. Add fabric such as clothes and towels to help it fill up and stop object from moving around).
The Boston Bruins Foundation’s Bob Sweeney, Health Messenger Beth Donahue and Special Olympics Sports and Fitness Coordinator Vicky DiNatale have a message for you about staying hydrated!
- 2 banana , mashed
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– Its important to stay hydrated even when you aren’t doing physical exercise. Want to make your water more exciting? Try infusing your water by adding herbs, spices or fruit!!