Stay Fit With SOMA – Week of 5/11
This week’s theme is Hydration!
Every week we have been posting exercise videos, nutrition tips, and more on our blog to provide you with opportunities to stay fit and active even at home! This blog will focus on hydration!
Hydration = to add or absorb water! Your body is made up of about 60% of water. Your body needs that much water so it can perform everyday tasks. Some of those tasks are:
- Protect your tissues, spinal cord, and joints
- Regulate body temperature
- Remove waste
- Help with digestion
BUT when you sweat, exercise, go to the bathroom, even just breath you lose water which can lead to dehydration. You need to replace the water that is lost!
Water is important for everyday life, but it’s even more important for sports! Drinking the right amount of water can help your athletic performance and not drinking enough water can reduce your performance.
How to Hydrate
It’s simple, you stay hydrated by drinking water!! How much water should you have though? Our Fit 5 guides recommend having at least 5 glasses of water per day. If you are exercising or playing a sport you may need more!
Here are some ways to reach that Fit 5 goal.
- Have a full glass with each meal (breakfast, lunch& dinner) then have a glass between breakfast and lunch as well as one between lunch and dinner.
Breakfast=1 Water Break =2 Lunch= 3 Water Break =4 Dinner=5
- Have half a glass with each meal and your daily snack. Have a full glass an hour after lunch. Have another glass an hour before your eat dinner. Then before bed have a full glass.
Breakfast =.5 Snack=1 Lunch=1.5 Full Glass after Lunch= 2.5 1hr before Dinner= 3.5 Dinner=4 Before Bed= 5
- Below is another example of how to reach your Fit 5 goal if you are exercising or playing a sport!
Dehydration means you do not have enough water in your body to perform the daily tasks it needs to. Not having enough water means your body cant work as well. Dehydration also reduce your sport performance, even being dehydrated as little as 1-2 % of your body weight can decrease sport performance. Being dehydrated can cause serious problems, so know the signs to avoid become severely dehydrated!
Healthy Beverage choices
To hydrate, water is simply the best option.
There are so many different beverage choices out there, some taste good, others are good for you and some can being doing more harm than good! Below is our stoplight chart to help you choose the best beverage.
Red = STOP. Rarely have these!
Yellow = SLOW. Its okay to have these in moderation
Green =GO you can have these drinks!
Yes, sport drinks have electrolytes and can hydrate you, but they also have a lot of excess sugar which can lead to unnecessary weight gain. Sport drinks should only be drank sometimes by endurance athletes or for those athletes playing in extreme heat. TIP** if you feel like you need some electrolyte, grab a banana to have with your water OR do half water half sports drink
Here are some tips to help you stay hydrated!
- Carry around a water bottle
- Keep track of how many bottles you drank with elastic bands. Every time you drink one, either add or remove a band from your wrist/bottle.
- Set reminders on your phone
- Add flavor- Infused water!
- Sometimes we all want more than plain water. Try adding a lemon, lime, or other fruit into your water
- Always keep your bottle or glass full
- Make it part of your routine
Challenge of the Week!
Reach your Fit 5 goal, and stay hydrated by drinking at least 5 glasses of water everyday! Post your video or picture on social media using #StayFitWithSOMA. Tag a friend who you challenge!
Exercise of the week – Lunges
This week’s topic is Total Body Pyramid Workout!
Check out this video from Beth and Vicky about staying hydrated with low-sugar drinks!
Dont forget about our other Fit 5 goals! Last weeks theme was eating healthy. Continue to also aim for your Fit 5 nutrition goal and eat 5 fruits and vegetables everyday this week!
Don’t forget to commit to stay fit! You’ll receive even more exercises and tips!
Why you should Commit to Stay Fit with SOMA:
- Access to our athlete fitness dashboard
- Weekly email with the blog of the week and info on live fitness class
- Daily wellness goals
- Nutrition tips and recipes
- Winner of the week giveaway!